- nounNorth American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776• Syn:• Members of this Region:↑freshman, ↑first-year, ↑billion, ↑trillion, ↑marine, ↑multiple voting, ↑snake dance, ↑reallotment, ↑reapportionment, ↑reallocation, ↑trust busting, ↑Boston Tea Party, ↑recall, ↑American Civil War, ↑United States Civil War, ↑War between the States, ↑water spaniel, ↑maquiladora, ↑slave market, ↑totem, ↑beak, ↑honker, ↑hooter, ↑nozzle, ↑snoot, ↑snout, ↑schnozzle, ↑schnoz, ↑southernism, ↑shamanism, ↑Social Security number, ↑joint resolution, ↑Bill of Rights, ↑Athapaskan, ↑Athapascan, ↑Athabaskan, ↑Athabascan, ↑Athapaskan language, ↑inaugural address, ↑inaugural, ↑tart, ↑teacake, ↑partridge, ↑scallion (for: ↑United States), ↑cola, ↑dope, ↑combination in restraint of trade, ↑State Department, ↑federal department, ↑federal office, ↑department of the federal government, ↑tribe, ↑federation of tribes, ↑nation, ↑independent agency, ↑Intelligence Community, ↑National Intelligence Community, ↑United States Intelligence Community, ↑IC, ↑county, ↑barrio, ↑Marshall Islands, ↑Republic of the Marshall Islands, ↑Union, ↑North, ↑Marlowe, ↑Philip Marlowe, ↑paleface, ↑desperado, ↑desperate criminal, ↑mestiza, ↑mestizo, ↑ladino, ↑old man, ↑staff member, ↑staffer, ↑Yankee, ↑Yank, ↑Northerner, ↑Gibson, ↑Mel Gibson, ↑Mel Columcille Gerard Gibson, ↑genus Epiphyllum, ↑pineapple weed, ↑rayless chamomile, ↑Matricaria matricarioides, ↑ringworm bush, ↑ringworm shrub, ↑ringworm cassia, ↑Senna alata, ↑Cassia alata, ↑Hedeoma, ↑genus Hedeoma, ↑golden fern, ↑leather fern, ↑Acrostichum aureum, ↑discount rate, ↑checking account (for: ↑United States), ↑dollar, ↑dollar bill, ↑one dollar bill, ↑buck, ↑clam, ↑inch, ↑in, ↑one thousand million, ↑1000000000, ↑one million million, ↑1000000000000, ↑quadrillion, ↑quintillion, ↑sextillion, ↑septillion, ↑octillion, ↑billionth, ↑trapezium, ↑trapezoid, ↑Groundhog Day, ↑February 2, ↑Lincoln's Birthday, ↑February 12, ↑Washington's Birthday, ↑February 22, ↑Presidents' Day• Member Holonyms: ↑North Atlantic Treaty Organization, ↑NATO, ↑Organization of American States, ↑OAS• Part Holonyms: ↑North America• Member Meronyms: ↑American• Part Meronyms:↑East, ↑eastern United States, ↑Midwest, ↑middle west, ↑midwestern United States, ↑Pacific Northwest, ↑American state, ↑West, ↑western United States, ↑Colony, ↑New England, ↑Mid-Atlantic states, ↑South, ↑Sunbelt, ↑North, ↑Dakota, ↑Alabama, ↑Heart of Dixie, ↑Camellia State, ↑AL, ↑Alaska, ↑Last Frontier, ↑AK, ↑Arizona, ↑Grand Canyon State, ↑AZ, ↑Arkansas, ↑Land of Opportunity, ↑AR, ↑California, ↑Golden State, ↑CA, ↑Calif., ↑Colorado, ↑Centennial State, ↑CO, ↑Connecticut, ↑Nutmeg State, ↑Constitution State, ↑CT, ↑Delaware, ↑Diamond State, ↑First State, ↑DE, ↑District of Columbia, ↑D.C., ↑DC, ↑Florida, ↑Sunshine State, ↑Everglade State, ↑FL, ↑Georgia, ↑Empire State of the South, ↑Peach State, ↑GA, ↑Hawaii, ↑Hawai'i, ↑Aloha State, ↑HI, ↑Idaho, ↑Gem State, ↑ID, ↑Illinois, ↑Prairie State, ↑Land of Lincoln, ↑IL, ↑Indiana, ↑Hoosier State, ↑IN, ↑Iowa, ↑Hawkeye State, ↑IA, ↑Kansas, ↑Sunflower State, ↑KS, ↑Kentucky, ↑Bluegrass State, ↑KY, ↑Louisiana Purchase, ↑Louisiana, ↑Pelican State, ↑LA, ↑Maine, ↑Pine Tree State, ↑ME, ↑Maryland, ↑Old Line State, ↑Free State, ↑MD, ↑Massachusetts, ↑Bay State, ↑Old Colony, ↑MA, ↑Michigan, ↑Wolverine State, ↑Great Lakes State, ↑MI, ↑Minnesota, ↑Gopher State, ↑North Star State, ↑MN, ↑Mississippi, ↑Magnolia State, ↑MS, ↑Missouri, ↑Show Me State, ↑MO, ↑Montana, ↑Treasure State, ↑MT, ↑Nebraska, ↑Cornhusker State, ↑NE, ↑Nevada, ↑Silver State, ↑Battle Born State, ↑Sagebrush State, ↑NV, ↑New Hampshire, ↑Granite State, ↑NH, ↑New Jersey, ↑Jersey, ↑Garden State, ↑NJ, ↑New Mexico, ↑Land of Enchantment, ↑NM, ↑New York, ↑New York State, ↑Empire State, ↑NY, ↑North Carolina, ↑Old North State, ↑Tar Heel State, ↑NC, ↑North Dakota, ↑Peace Garden State, ↑ND, ↑Ohio, ↑Buckeye State, ↑OH, ↑Oklahoma, ↑Sooner State, ↑OK, ↑Oregon, ↑Beaver State, ↑OR, ↑Pennsylvania, ↑Keystone State, ↑PA, ↑Rhode Island, ↑Little Rhody, ↑Ocean State, ↑RI, ↑South Carolina, ↑Palmetto State, ↑SC, ↑South Dakota, ↑Coyote State, ↑Mount Rushmore State, ↑SD, ↑Tennessee, ↑Volunteer State, ↑TN, ↑Texas, ↑Lone-Star State, ↑TX, ↑Utah, ↑Beehive State, ↑Mormon State, ↑UT, ↑Vermont, ↑Green Mountain State, ↑VT, ↑Virginia, ↑Old Dominion, ↑Old Dominion State, ↑VA, ↑Washington, ↑Evergreen State, ↑WA, ↑West Virginia, ↑Mountain State, ↑WV, ↑Wisconsin, ↑Badger State, ↑WI, ↑Wyoming, ↑Equality State, ↑WY, ↑Connecticut River, ↑Great Lakes, ↑Mississippi River, ↑Missouri River, ↑New River, ↑Niagara, ↑Niagara River, ↑Niobrara, ↑Niobrara River, ↑Ohio River, ↑Rio Grande, ↑Rio Bravo, ↑Saint Lawrence, ↑Saint Lawrence River, ↑St. Lawrence, ↑St. Lawrence River, ↑Twin, ↑Twin Falls, ↑Yosemite, ↑Yosemite Falls, ↑Yukon, ↑Yukon River
* * *1. Union of South Africa.2. United States of America.3. United States Army.a trilogy of novels (1939) by John Dos Passos, consisting of The 42nd Parallel, 1919, and The Big Money.
* * *U.S.A. or USA (no periods),1. Union of South Africa.2. United States Army.3. United States of America.
* * *abbr.■ United States of America■ United States Army
* * *(or USA) abbrUnited States of America
* * *
Do you need a visa for the USA?
Useful english dictionary. 2012.